Machine Learning Engineer
At Nordsense, we help cities and companies reduce CO2 emission by avoid wasting resources emptying empty bins – and get a chance to cut waste collection costs by as much as 50% in the process. We have developed an end-to-end IoT solution that optimizes waste collection processes using machine learning – and we are already powering San Francisco and Copenhagen.
As a machine learning engineer, you will be part of our data science team, building machine learning models and infrastructure that interacts with cutting-edge IoT sensors to identify sensor events and predict fill levels across entire cities. Your systems will process reporting signals from thousands of sensors to enable cities to do smart waste collection where they avoid emptying half-empty containers and where containers get emptied before they overflow. You will be part of every stage of the development from concept to deployment, and your contribution will have a direct and visible impact on Nordsense’s growth in domestic and international markets.
If you're passionate about machine learning and want to be part of a group that enjoys crafting high accuracy, smart, and robust models, we may be the team for you!
About the job
Design features and build large scale machine learning models to detect sensor events (emptying, on fire, maintenance required, etc.) and predict when it’s the ideal time to empty containers to avoid overflowing and emptying of half-empty containers. This will require you to master stream processing and time-series analysis over time.
You will work together with our backend engineers, hardware engineers, testers, and fellow data scientists to design and implement the infrastructure needed to make modeling, testing, and deploying models smooth. We expect you to be a team player who helps out wherever necessary and takes action when you see problems on the horizon.
- Work with other data scientists on the team to develop both short and long-term strategies around machine learning for forecasting
- Collaborate with the hardware and software teams to tune and integrate the solutions you develop
- Develop and maintain internal monitoring and reporting tools to enable us to be proactive and demonstrate value to our customers.
- Build up the Machine Learning and Experimentation platform for data scientists to work with
- Implement data pipelines that allow for versioning and implementations of the training datasets
- Collaborate with, mentor, and influence members within your team to drive our development process to enable our data scientists to deliver their best work.
- Write clean, delicious, tested, and maintainable code, and peer review your team member’s code.
Why Work at Nordsense
We use a cloud technology stack built on Amazon SageMaker, S3, Kafka, Luigi, PostgreSQL, Python, R, and AWS. Don't have experience with these? You'll get it here!
- You're attracted to a relaxed but ambitious environment with autonomy, where you are trusted to deliver, without micromanagement and like influencing what you do.
- Work with a fantastic multi-national team of talented and motivated people who love their work.
- Pension scheme, and private health care.
- Great office located centrally in Copenhagen.
- Social gatherings.
- We’re a Silicon Valley-funded startup.
What You’ll Need
You are a curious, self-motivated and communicative person who is eager to learn and ready to join a startup with few formal procedures and limits.
- Computer science degree with at least 5 years of relevant industry experience.
- Experience working on production machine learning systems at scale.
- Strong and proven problem-solving and software development skills.
- Solid Python programming skills and proficiency with relational databases (MySQL, Postgres, etc.).
- Knowledge of deep learning, neural networks, stream processing and time-series analysis.
- Experience in building data or training pipelines.
- Ability to work in a team environment at a fast-paced, small company.
- Passion for machine learning, software architecture and best practices.
- Creative, collaborative, and product-focused.
- Experience with optimization algorithms is a plus
- Excellent communication skills
About the Team
Our business requires a clear understanding of real-world behaviors and patterns to do high accuracy forecasting. The data science team seeks to understand these behaviors and patterns through the use of sensors.
We research new models and build platforms to serve actionable insights that cities and companies can use to avoid wasting resources emptying empty bins and avoid overflowing bins.
The team is responsible for processing sensor data, including GPS, distance, temperature, and accelerometer across sensors in the bins and truck driver devices. Our mission is to transform data into actionable insights that empower our customers to become greener, cleaner, and smarter.
How to Apply
Send your motivational letter and CV to firstname.lastname@example.org as soon as possible.
We will be conducting interviews ongoing throughout the recruitment process. We hope to fill out this position as soon as possible.
If you have any questions regarding the job as a Machine Learning Engineer, you are very welcome to reach out to CTO, Nicolai Bentsen at email@example.com.
Nordsense makes waste collection cleaner, greener and smarter
50 % reduction in collection cost and emission